Vertical pellet smokers are here to change the game and offer you a whole new barbecue experience. The design is suitable for holding larger quantities of meat with improved airflow than traditional models. All this while still providing the high temperatures and fuel efficiency of standard wood pellet models. The big bonus is it occupies less space in your backyard and suitable for use on decks.
There is one key difference between most vertical pellet smokers and horizontal pellet smokers. Vertical pellet smokers only allow you to smoke, however the horizontal smoker allow for flexibility when it comes to a dual purpose device.
Do you love to smoke foods at home for family and friends? Want to learn more about the proper tools required to achieve an original southern-style smoke flavor?
Look no further as this article has some excellent vertical smokers to suit your needs. To make the process easier we have rounded up the top 5 vertical smokers for you to choose from. Vertical pellet smokers vary in size, shape, function, and style. That’s why choosing the best vertical pellet smoker can be a challenging task. Below we discuss the five best vertical pellet smokers with complete reviews to help you make the correct decision. Let’s get smoking.
Things to Consider Before buying a Vertical Pellet Smoker
To better understand the different features when buying a vertical pellet smoker we outline some of the most important factors to consider when going about this decision.
Built-Quality & Materials
Vertical pellet smokers come in different shapes and sizes. The build quality of the pellet smoker should be sturdy and rust-resistant. Some pellet smokers have an aluminum body that’s very lightweight, while others have a cast iron or steel body that’s slightly heavier. We recommend buying a cast iron or steel body for excellent durability and perfect smoking results.
The capacity of the Smokers
The internal size of the smoker is an essential factor in buying a smoker. How many people will you be cooking for? You generally have an idea of the number of guests you will be serving, small family gatherings, or big neighborhood barbeques. Remembering that you can always smoke small portions in a large smoker but not the other way around. A 30-inches size of smoker provides ample space for cooking for large crowds.
There are various kinds of pellet smokers on the market. The prices range from cost effective entery level models to pricy premium models. High-ended smokers often have a heftier price tag as they offer some unique features. So it is best to allocate a budget for your smoker according to your needs.
Versatile of Foods
Some smoker can be used to grill and smoke. The art of smoking can achieve various results depending on the ingredients. Low and slow to tenderize tough cuts of meat or add texture and flavor to delicate pieces of fish vegetables and chicken.
Vertical smokers can run on different fuels like gas, electricity, wood, pellet wood, gasoline, charcoal, etc. You should think about what kind of energy is available in your region and which is cost-effective. This is a critical decision to ensure you have many happy smoking hours for the future
Top 5 Vertical Pellet Smoker | Our Top Picks
Top 5 Best Vertical Pellet Smoker Review
Camp Chef XXL Vertical Pellet Grill and Smoker – Best overall
The Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker gives you everything for backyard grilling and smoking. With a unique feature for added smokiness. There are four meat racks, three jerky racks, and a sausage rack with twelve hooks that make your cooking hassle-free. You’ll never run out of space for your favorite food.
You can grill and smoke your favorite food like jerky, sausage, pork shoulders, etc. It can produce 33,000 BTUs/Hr—cooking power. The temperature range of the grill is between 150F – 350F.
The Camp Chef pellet grill comes with Smart Smoke Technology. It helps to maintain the smoky fragrance and texture of the food. Digital display, ash cleanout system is handy for everyday cooking and easy cleaning of the grill. For all-around performances, we choose this best vertical pellet grill for you.
- New Camp Chef XXL Vertical grill is a wood pellet grill smoker. This is a great dual smoking and grilling device.
- It has a digital display, Grease management System, Pellet Hopper Purge, Smart Smoke Technology.
- Deluxe Collapsible side self, four smoking grill grates, three jerky racks, two temp rod probes, one hanging rack give you options to make your cooking easy.
- The digital controller automatically maintains the cooking temperature.
- The built-quality of the Camp Chef is very sturdy, ensuring even heat distribution to the chamber.
- The vertical pellet smoker style gives a huge amount of cooking space
- Ideal for large cuts of meat including smaller cuts likes chicken pieces beef, jerky, and sausages
- WiFi connectivity for remote control
- Includes a wide range of racks and hooks for the ultimate flexibility in where you place things
- Window on pellet hopper allows checking on refiling
- Sturdy design on castors makes for easy mobility
- Set and forget technology
- Automatic temperature control
- Separate setting for the smoke level
- Contains 2 meat probes for precision cooking
- Internal circulation fan
- Large pellet hopper burns for up to 12 hours without refilling
- Easy cleaning
- Good value for money
- Decent warranty
- Cannot maintain the temperature and leaks a bit of smoke around the door
- A low brightness of the LED display
- Operates only as a dedicated smoker
Pit Boss Grills 77550 5.5 Pellet Smoker
If you need generous cooking space and longer smoking times in one pack the Pit Boss Vertical Smoker is the best choice for you. Porcelain-coated cooking racks distributes heat evenly to the main chamber. The design of the Pit Boss is like nothing you have seen before.
Pit boss Smoker produces up to 450F. Allowing you more outdoor cooking options than other pellet smokers. The cooking area of the PitBoss grill is about 1548 sq cooking area. 5.5 cup’ capacity pellet smoker includes five cooking racks & boasts.
Double-walled construction makes the Pit boss very strong. A blanket insulator protects internal temperatures in the coldest weather. The hopper capacity is 40+lb. which helps to smoke low and slow over 24 hours.
- Pit Boss Grills has a developed technological interface. It monitors internal temperature with an LED display and meat probe.
- Five porcelain coated cooking grids are very hardy. The cooking area of the grill is 1548 sq.
- Hopper of the grill comes with a large capacity of about 40+ lb. You can load extra pellets for a long time cooking.
- Pit Boss Grills produces 150F- 450F temperature with ease. The heat distribution of the grill is well controlled.
- Pit Boss Grill has its own ignition system. It produces 300 watts for igniting the grill in a single blow.
- Large cooking capacity with good heat distribution
- 5 racks included for great versatility
- Porcelain-coated cooking racks
- Large pellet hopper allows for 24 hours smoking
- A large viewing window allows for easy monitoring of cooking
- The smoker is heavy and bulky.
- Operates only as a dedicated smoker
Louisiana Grills Vertical Pellet Smoker – Best Portable
Louisiana Grill Vertical Pellet Smoker allows for great convinince where you can set it to smoke and forget about it. Packed with unique features it has a small footprint and gives you tender meat and adds real-wood flavour to your favourite dishes.
This smoker provides you with all-natural hardwood pellets, combined with fan-forced convection cooking. A 2059 sq. inches of cooking space gives you a large space for cooking larger quantities of meat at the same time. The smoker quickly reaches temperatures in the range of 150 to 450 that ensures a perfect smoke result, every time.
The Louisiana Grill comes with a full package of 6 cooking racks, porcelain-coated grid construction. In the market, only Louisiana provides a versatile smoker with different sizes, shapes, and styles. It’s effortless to use compared to other smokers. The compact design of Louisiana makes it the best portable vertical pellet smoker on our list.
- Louisiana is not only a grill but also a fan-forced heavy smoker. People can use it for both purposes.
- A large 2059 sq cooking area gives you the ultimate satisfaction of cooking. Allows you to cook for large groups with ease.
- The smoker quickly reaches low to high temperature at the range of 150F to 450F. Very convenient for your versatile cooking options.
- This smoker comes with a full package of what you need, like six cooking racks with porcelain-coated grid construction.
- 6.2 cubic feet hopper is suitable for carrying a 60lb—wood pellet at the same time. Pellet Burn Chamber and two Meat Probes included.
- Large cooking area
- Convenient temperature range
- Complete package with accessories
- Huge hopper size
- Fan forced smoker
- The temperature probe is not the best
Pit Boss PBV3P1 Vertical Pellet Smoker Copper
Pit Boss Vertical Pellet Smoker is renowned for its larger cooking space and allows for a long smoking and grilling time. It’s effortless to use and versatile in design. The temperature range starts from 150F to 450F. Porcelain-coated cooking racks help to distribute the heat equally to the main chamber.
Pit Boss has wholly changed the vertical smoking game! They integrate the top-loading pellet hopper to the rear of the smoker. The cooking area of the Pit BOSS smoker is 901 sq. It’s very convenient for versatile cooking at once. 3.5 cup’ capacity pellet smoker includes five cooking racks for extra space. You can host the ultimate BBQ feast for your friends, family, relatives, colleagues on holidays. 40+ lb. hopper provides you with smoke for a long time. If you don’t love wood smokers, you can go with the electric vertical pellet smokers.
- Pit Boss monitors internal temperatures with a digital LED readout and meat probe. It helps to cook your meat evenly for both sides.
- Four porcelain-coated cooking grids with porcelain-coated water and heat deflector.
- The cooking space of the grill is 901 sq. in. which is very convenient for cooking for many people at once.
- 40+ lb. hopper allows for more wood pellets giving you a long time cooking. You can cook for 24+ hours by using a full hopper wood pellet.
- Auto-start 300-watt ignition system plays a critical role to ignite the main chamber.
- Large cooking space
- Decent temperature range
- Reliable ignition system
- Precise temperature control
- Versatile of accessories
- The brightness of the LED monitor is very poor
- Complicated digital panel
Masterbuilt MB20250118 Pellet Smoker – Best Budget
Masterbuilt MB20250118 Pellet Smoker is the best budget pellet smoker for you. It has sensational features that can beat high ended smokers in the present market situation. This grill is very suitable for consistent temperatures. The temperature range of the pellet smoker is 180 f to 350 f. Four chrome-coated smoking racks give you extra space for keeping your delicious food. The meat probe thermometer maintains temperature precisely. Digital AI (Artificial Intelligence) system shows and controls everything of your cooking. Pellet hoppers can hold 12lbs. Pellet wood is enough for 24 hours of cooking.
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks provide you with enough space for even heat distribution.
- The meat probe thermometer maintains heat generation for the controlled temperature of particular foods.
- Digital panel controls, auto on/off feature, cook & smoke timer are the main features of the smoker.
- The Pellet hopper can hold over 12lbs of the wood pellet which is ideal for long-time cooking.
- Auger moves wood pellets from the hopper for even, consistent cooking from 180F to 350F.
- Chrome-coated smoking racks
- Meat probe thermometer
- Advanced control system
- Small footprint
- Large hopper size
- Bulky design
- No window to check on food
Which is the best vertical pellet smoker?
Answer: Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker is the best vertical pellet smoker for 2022. If you want to deliver an expert bbq pitmaster flavor, then this particular product is definitely for you.
Are vertical or horizontal pellet smokers better?
Answer: Vertical pellet smokers are very suitable for smoked and roasted foods but cannot grill. On the other hand, Horizontal pellet smoker grills are suitable for both smoking and grilling but they take up lots of space and have a larger footprint.
What is the best pellet smoker for the money?
Answer: Masterbuilt MB20250118 Pellet Smoker is the best pellet smoker for the money.
Is smoked meat bad for you?
Answer: Smoked meat is considered a processed meat. All processed meats have been classified as Group 1 carcinogens. This classification, says the World Health Organisation (WHO), is based on evidence from several studies that have shown that eating processed meat, including smoked meat, causes colorectal cancer
What is the healthiest way to smoke meat?
Answer: Indirect grilling keeps the fat from dripping directly on the fire. Thus reducing carcinogens rising in the smoke. We recommend always using a dripping pan to collect excessive fat or oil.
Smoking is the best way to slow cook meat whilst adding that iconic smoky flavor. It makes for fork-tender cuts with a unique smoky flavor.
Whether you want to feel cool or show your barbecuing expertise when entertaining friends and family, smoking sumptuous meat cuts can be challenging. It can be a demanding task that requires a lot of patience. Choosing a pellet smoker can really change your smoking game and make the process much easier with the result more consistent and absolutely impressive.
This article will take the hassel out of finding the best vertical pellet smoker that suit your needs helping you choose the correct smoker.
Our overall choice for the best vertical pellet smoker is: Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker is an all-around performer. It provides us with huge cooking space, a useful temperature range, well-balanced controlling overheat, and various accessories. Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker can cook versatile dishes that a user is looking for. Would you love to try vertical pallet smoker recipes? Then why waste time? Pick one from the list and get your smoke one. Happy smoking
Last update on 2022-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API