Are you tired of buying large amounts of ice from the store? Can’t wait for the refrigerator to make your ice? Then purchasing a nugget ice maker to keep your summer drinks chilled is the answer for you. Get ready to make instant ice, ready for those summer parties and frozen cocktails
How do you choose the best ice maker for you? To make the process easier we have rounded up the top five, best nugget ice makers for you to choose from. Nugget ice makers vary in size, shape, function, and style. That’s why choosing the best ice maker can be a challenging task. Below we discuss the five best ice makers to help you make the correct decision. Let’s get freezing.
What Is Nugget Ice?
Nugget ice is made using a process whereby layers of flaked ice are frozen together. Creating pockets of air in the pellet ice nuggets, as a result allowing the ice to float. Nugget ice is more chewable and airy and more importantly doesn’t melt as quickly as other traditional crushed ice.
What Is a Nugget Ice Machine?
A nugget ice machine is a technology to make nugget ice at home or kitchen. Powered by an electrical source, the device fits on any counter while the ice is produced. Traditional ice makers freeze water into a hard ice cube over a long period of time. Nugget ice is produced quickly by scraping the ice crystals from a chilled stainless steel cylinder The ice crystals are extruded through a round hole, compacting them into a chewable nugget.
What To Look For Before Buying A Nugget Ice Maker?
Production of Ice
First, look at the production level of ice. If a nugget ice maker produces ice slowly and in small quantities, then that is not an optimal choice as it uses considerably more energy. You will also need to determine the volume of ice you require on a general basis.
Nugget machines generally produce uniform shapes of ice that are made in the units freezing cylinder. What you want to ensure is that the device produces a consistent size nugget each time. Look out for the reviews regarding this.
Ice makers generally have a hefty price tag. The machines are costly due to the technology used to create the ice. Choose one that suits your needs, based on how much ice you will generally need and how quickly the machine will produce the ice.
Different features can make an ice maker cooler—features like a timer, presetting of the ice, or the ability to be controlled from an app remotely. Many smart machines are designed to have control of water usage. Once again look for a device that suits your needs. Generally, the more features they have the more expensive the unit will be.
Countertop ice makers are still a somewhat new technology, and improvements in the technology are made regularly. Make sure the model you buy has a solid warranty and that the company is reputable. This is an investment and you deserve to be covered and protected in case of a factory fault or mechanical failure.
Our Top Picks
Buying Guide & Expert Recommendations Top 5 Nugget Ice Maker
Ge Profile Opal Ice Maker
Do you want the best nugget Ice maker for your home? Then, Ge Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker would be your best choice.
A compact design ideal for countertop use. Its elegant design and technology make for an appealing unit while producing nugget ice perfectly. Ideal for a large family.
Powerful and Smart
You can get the soft, crunchy nugget size ice within 20 minutes. The shape of the ice is a lot look like a restaurant. You can control the ice maker by the official Ge Profile Opal app.
Material and Portability
The body of the Ge Profile Ice Maker is made from stainless steel and plastic. Does not require to be hooked up to a water connection due to the water reservoir. Making this a portable nugget ice maker.
- Produces a large quantity of ice, suitable for a big family and perfect for the home.
- You can make quality ice nuggets within 20 minutes.
- Bluetooth connection and a dedicated app make it convenient to control the ice maker remotely.
- No need for additional accessories. So, it enhances portability.
- The stainless steel body is very durable and rust-free.
- Unit is quiet
- Produces crisp ice
- Bluetooth and apps usability
- Stainless steel material
- Slow in comparison to other ice makers
- Very costly to purchase
Why Do We Recommend It?
Ge Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker makes high-quality nugget ice quickly. It is very suitable for both professionals and beginners.
Opal Countertop Nugget Icemaker – Best commercial
The Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker is the best commercial nugget ice machine on our list.
The Opal Countertop Ice maker’s counter size is a little bit smaller than Ge Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker. But will make enough ice for your daily demand.
Take Less Time
Opal Countertop Nuggets ice maker takes only 20 minutes to make ice. It is a mighty ice maker and convenient for commercial use like a café, restaurant or small hotel.
Smart and Portable
Bluetooth and a dedicated app are very convenient for controlling the ice maker remotely. The reservoir takes out all unnecessary water from the main chamber after use.
- The operating temperature of the ice maker is 55-to-90-degree F.
- You should use potable water quality (205 ppm) or less mineral capacity.
- A water reservoir is included to take away all excess water from the chamber.
- Bluetooth and a dedicated app make for easy remote operation.
- Like Ge Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker, Opal ice maker takes only 20 min to produce ice.
- Compact size
- Convenient without touch controller
- Take less time
- Suitable for commercial purposes
- Not suitable for all kinds of water
- The indicator has been know to be faulty
Why Do We Recommend It?
We recommend it for large capacity use, like cafés, restaurants and large homes. It is a genuine commercial ice maker with the perfect shape of an ice nugget.
NewAir Nugget Ice Maker – Best portable
Do you need a portable nugget ice maker? Let us introduce to you the NewAir Nugget Ice Maker. This is the best portable nugget ice maker for you.
Enough Space for Ice
The inner space of the NewAir Ice maker is enormous. It can hold up to 24 lbs. ice cubes at a time. “Nugget ice” is very soft and small in size. Allowing you to produce ice professionally.
Fastest Ice Maker
Most of the ice makers take up to 20 minutes to produce ice. But NewAir Icemaker uses some great technology to make ice quickly. It takes only 12 minutes to turn water into ice.
Compact and Melt-Resistant
NewAir ice maker is very compact in design but has a generous space to hold enough ice. The Ultra-insulated storage container prevents ice melting.
- NewAir Ice Maker takes only 12 minutes to make ice.
- Ultra-insulated storage protects the ice from melting.
- Self-cleaning technology helps to clean the ice maker without hassle.
- BPA-free plastic ensures you that there is no harmful chemical in ice.
- The ice is small in shape and feels soft inside the mouth.
- Fast ice-making technology
- Melt-resistance wall
- Compact and portable
- Self-cleaning function
- Premium design
- Fill tube has been known to crack
- Can be noisy
Why Do We Recommend It?
The ideal, portable ice maker to take along for camping, road trips, picnics, and tailgating. We recommend the NewAir Icemaker as the best choice for you.
Scotsman SCN60PA-1SS – Best durable
Do you need a durable ice maker for your home or restaurant? Scotsman SCN60PA-1SS can meet that demand.
The Scotsman SCN60PA1SS has a large ice production capacity, we recommend it for those who need a serious amount of ice on a regular basis. Suitable for commercial use or a large household, if you use ice each day. This ice maker can hold up to 80 lbs. nugget ice at a time.
Material and Durability
The Scotsman ice maker is made from stainless steel. The body is stylish and easy to clean, designed to be durable.
- A generous 80-pound ice-making capacity per day.
- A full 24-hour period operating cycle.
- Designed using an air condenser refrigerant method.
- Store up to 26 pounds of ice in this model.
- It has a self closed front door.
- Has an interior light to illuminate the interior
- It produces nugget-shaped ice. Nugget ice is softer and more chewable than standard ice.
- It has a one-year warranty directly from Scotsman.
- Runs quietly for a unit of its size but it may get louder with use over time.
- Can start producing nuggets in as little as 10 mins
- Has an LED indicator light to alert you when it is time to clean the unit.
- Stainless steel body
- Fast ice-making system
- User-friendly interface
- Powerful pump
- Long-lasting condenser
- Maintenance is difficult
- Built-in and under-counter use only
- Not portable
- Can be noisy
Why Do We Recommend It?
Durability is the main feature of this ice maker and its large capacity for ice production. Ideal for users who require ice on-demand and in large quantities.
FRIGIDAIRE EFIC235-AMZ Ice Maker – Best beginner choice
Frigidaire Ice Maker is very popular for its ice-making ability. It is effortless to use for a beginner.
Frigidaire Icemaker has an elegant design and well sized for any countertop. This medium size countertop unit provides a compact design, but it can hold enough ice for daily use.
Fast and Powerful
Within 15 minutes, you will enjoy soft, crunchy ice, ideal for your home kitchen.
Automatic and High Capacity
Frigidaire Icemaker can produce 44 lbs. ice per day and holds 3 lbs. of ice at a time. If the ice melts, the water is collected by a reservoir to turn it into ice again.
- The stainless-steel body is durable and rust-free.
- You can place the ice maker on any countertop.
- Accessories like Icemaker, Side tank, Ice Bin, Ice Scoop, and drip tray are included.
- It takes only 15 minutes to make ice.
- The ice production ability is 44 lbs. ice per day and can hold 3 lbs. ice.
- Optimum countertop size
- Quick and powerful
- High capacity
- Automatic ice making capability
- Portable ice maker
- Cleaning is complicated
- Needs to be placed on a drip mat for errant ice nuggets
Why Do We Recommend It?
The most innovative feature of the Frigidaire ice maker is the straightforward user interface. It is very suitable for beginner or non-professional people.
Major Benefits of Nugget Ice Makers
- A nugget ice maker will give you chewable airy ice.
- It makes nugget ice very quickly for your drinks.
- You will get a perfect size of nugget ice at any time.
- You don’t need to wait for the refrigerator to make ice.
- A nugget ice maker is a convenient and smart gadget for the kitchen.
- Some nugget ice makers are designed for hospital or clinic usage.
Why Are Nugget Ice Makers So Expensive?
Nugget ice is a different shape produced from traditional ice machines. The main property of the nugget ice is its chewable and soft texture. The technology and compressor used to make the ice form the more costly part of the production of such units. Thus leaving the finished product with a heavy price tag.
Ice makers in general require more power to make ice. However, the monthly power-consuming depends on usage could be around 350kWh. Making it pretty costly.
Is an ice maker worth it?
Answer: If you don’t want to buy the ice from the store or you don’t want to wait for your refrigerator, then an ice maker would be worth it for you.
What is the best nugget ice machine?
Answer: GE Profile Opal Amazing Countertop Nugget Ice Maker is the best nugget ice maker.
Can you make sonic ice at home?
Answer: Sonic ice is also called the nugget ice. There are a range of machines that suit budgets for home use
Is chewing Nugget Ice bad for your teeth?
Answer: Yes, chewing the ice is bad for your teeth. Not only for the teeth but also chewing ice is harmful to enamel and gum.
Is nugget ice good for mixed drinks?
Answer: Nugget ice is not perfect for every kind of drink as it has a tendency to melt quicker.
Nugget ice is growing in popularity among home users and restaurants. The cost however of acquiring a commercial nugget ice maker is proving to be a barrier to its availability despite its high demand.
This article will help you find a suitable option for your needs. We have listed a more affordable and portable alternative to the more expensive commercial ice makers.
Out of the five ice makers we have reviewed the GE Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker is the best ice maker in our opinion. Its quick and smart technology brings the ice machine top of the list.
Last update on 2021-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API